FRI 4/25 (9:15AM) — Schedule has been finalized below. In SF, I want to thank the SF Sonics and Ball So Hard for going outside of their timeframe and allowing the schedule to happen. In SJ, I want to thank the SJ Barons for the same.
I wasn’t involved in the OAK scheduling, but they’ve been pushed back a half-hour to start the gym at 130pm. Thanks to any teams there that made the set possible.
THU 4/24 (2:45PM) — Here’s the proposed schedule for this Sun 4/27…
1:00 PM BCRC nc/am+ Championship: #2 That’s What She said at #5 All Ham No 10a-2p 12p-3p
2:00 PM BCRC o-dl/g Last LB Game: #3 DonksKongz at #1 Sole Supremacy B 9a-2p 2p-37p
3:00 PM BCRC o-ta Championship: #6 Shockers at #1 Sole Supremacy A ok 2p-7p
4:00 PM BCRC o-dl/g Chmapionship: Donks/SSUB at #2 Five Ten 1p-6p
1:00 PM AHHS sj-dl p3-LB: #5 Soul Vikes at #3 Bad News 1p-9p 11a-4p
2:00 PM AHHS sj-dl Last LB Game: Winner-SoulV/BadN at #2 Basketballs Of Fury [1p-4p] 9a-2p
3:00 PM AHHS sj-ta Last LB Game: #2 SJ Barons at #1 Monstars 4p-8p 2p-7p
4:00 PM AHHS sj-ta Championship: Winner-SJB/Monst at #3 Outlawz [4p-7p] 3p-4p
5:00 PM AHHS sj-nc Repeat Champ: #1 Pippen Aint Easy at #0 Street Rats 2p-6p 4p-9p
We will post this to the spreadsheet soon, when everything becomes 100%. There’s nothing that indicates otherwise, so if it changes due to some wrench thrown from left field, we’ll text you.
As for SF, all captains should already be in communication with me at the moment. That one is in flux requires response from a captain or two that we’re waiting on.
LET’S GO WARRIORS!!! Catch all your GSW info here: LetsGoWarriors.com
ISAH = ISA High School, enter back pkg lot at 19th St and Carolina, SF (going to front of school no good)
MDLS = Mission Dolores Academy, pkg lot thru black gate next to Children’s Council Bldg, Church St b/w 16th & 17th
BCRC = Bushrod Rec Center, 560 59th St. off Telegraph (not Shattuck!), Oakland (near Berkeley)
WKRC = Willie Keyes Community Rec Center (fka Poplar), 3131 Union Street, Emeryville, CA 94608
IJRC = Ira Jinkins Rec Center, 9175 Edes Ave, Oakland (near Coliseum)
RBRC = Rainbow Rec Center, 5800 International Blvd, Oakland (arrive early, new gym)
AHHS = Andrew Hill HS, 3200 Senter Road, SJ (park in covered lot, walk to gyms thru pillars to rear left side)
ARYC = Alum Rock Youth Center, 137 North White Road, SJ (down block from JLHS, still arrive early!)
JLHS = James Lick HS, 50 North White Road, San Jose (arrive early due to Sunday flea market)
NOTE: IF YOUR TIPOFF BELOW
IS BLANK OR SAYS “TBD”, THAT MEANS IT IS STILL SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
YOU SHOULD NOT BE ASSUMING YOUR TIPOFF IS ANY PARTICULAR TIME UNLESS THERE IS ACTUALLY A TIME STATED.
IF THERE IS A TIME STATED, THEN THAT TIME IS FINAL AND ANY CHANGES NEED APPROVAL FROM LEAGUE OFFICE.
Date = (should match tab/sheet you are looking at)
Tipoff = if blank, not final, should proceed hour-by-hour
Gym = see above for gym abbreviations and directions
Div = Division, although this does not matter anymore
Matchup = FYI either team can wear whites/darks
V = tipoff timeframe of the “Visiting” team
H = tipoff timeframe of the “Home” team
Comments = (changes to final scores as Sun games end)
SK = initials of the Scorekeepers for this game (by Fri)
Refs = initials of the Refs for this game (by Fri)
FRI 4/18 (12:30AM) — Schedule for 4/20 is now up, below. No surprises, really. Any problems, text me.
THU 4/17 (11:30AM) — All playoff brackets have been updated. There’s only two divisions in SF playing this Sun 4/20 and I’ve been in contact with the captains already, so I’ll be lazy and not list them below. Again, very likely that San Jose is a gym-wide bye this Sun 4/20… THU 4/17 (11:00AM) — CORRECTION: We probably will postpone ALL San Jose games to 4/27 because we need to have as many games as possible due to the gym situation we have there… THU 4/17 (10:45AM) — If a team has requested a BYE for this Sun 4/20, we are likely to grant it. So if you’re playing a team in your bracket that has requested a bye, most likely we will take a bye. We will have the final schedule up soon. The matchups for OAK and SJ have largely been determined. The matchups for SF will be determined today and we will attempt to post tipoffs by 9pm tonight. Thanks for your patience…
OAK MATCHUPS (division, matchup, timeframe, timeframe)
nc/am+ Last LB: #8 Frisco Hawks at #2 That’s What She Said 9a-11p 10a-2p
nc/am- Last LB: #2 BlacOut at #1 WWWD 9a-2p 10a-2p
o-ta p6-LB: #3 Udrafted at #2 OIIM 9a-2p 11a-4p
nc/am- Championship: BlackO/WWWD at #5 Hawks 9a-1p
o-ta Last LB: undraf/OIIM at #6 Shockers 9a-2p
o-dl/g p5-LB: #7 marvel at #3 DongsKongz 9a-1p 9a-2p
nc/pm Champioship: #2 Keep Dreamin at #1 Dragon 4p-9p 2p-9p
SJ MATCHUPS (division, matchup, timeframe, timeframe)
sj-ta Last LB Game: #2 SJ Barons at #1 Monstars 4p-8p 2p-7p
sj-dl p3-LB: #5 Soul Vikes at #3 Bad News 1p-9p 11a-4p
sj-dl Last LB Game: SoulV/BadN at #2 Basketball Of Fury 9a-2p
sj-nc Championship: #1 Pippen Ain’t Easy at #0 Street Rats 2p-6p 4p-9p
FRI 4/11 (11:45PM) — Due to a scheduling error in which we did not see a Special Request, we have moved Sole B vs Five Ten in OAK to 530p, resulting in the previous 430p and 630p games being moved up. See schedule below.
FRI 4/11 (3:45AM) — Tipoffs finalized and there are reasons for them. So if there are any questions, text me.
THU 4/10 (5:45PM) — Peter has looked at the schedule and we are just waiting for Heem Team’s captain to text me back. When that happens, we will confirm the schedule late late tonight, 2am. So it’s pretty much good to go with the PROBABLE start times: MDLS 1pm, BCRC 9am, WKRC 130pm, and AHHS 3pm. You can probably figure out your tipoff from there, but of course, it’s not absolutely final until we post the tipoffs late late tonight… THU 4/10 (4:30PM) — There were some last-minute bye requests (see Special Requests sheet), so we will just wait until Peter can take one last overview of the OAK schedule before finalizing it, sometime after 5p this evening. Latest draft since 3am this morning has been posted below… THU 4/10 (3:00AM) — Draft has been posted below with approximate times. We will let it marinate just in case people bring up issues, then hopefully solidify it completely by around 3pm today, Thursday.
THU 4/10 (1:30AM) — A lot of odd behavior as we go deeper in playoffs here. For example, tons of Special Requests by what seem to be the same teams. In SF, I’m having to deal with a serious player eligibility issue.
I think it just boils down to, some of you haven’t played long enough. You play long enough, you learn not to try to control everything. You enjoy the ride, win or lose. Loosen the grip a little bit. So you’re missing a few star players for the playoffs. So what. Well, (a) you probably shouldn’t have picked those unreliable players up in the first place, and (b) why don’t you just try to win and impact the game with your own personal play and whomever else shows up, why always rely on others to win you games?
So anyways with all this tight grip some of you have (not all of you, but enough of you to tilt the scales enough for the rest of us), I’m working through these issues and everyone will just have to be patient, especially those of you who made special requests or otherwise have placed scheduling obstacles in front of me.
FRI 4/4 (5:45AM) — Yep, I truly am up this early. Been at this since about 3am because of family issues which needed my attention during the evening (after my 7p post of the draft last night), but I’m glad to finally focus some attention on big-time issues with the schedule based on my research. Kudos to Peter for getting the Oakland schedule done, although I ended up changing some of it. The following major changes were made to the schedule as of last night’s post at 7p…
- SF-DL/Silver will forge ahead, but in the Losers Bracket we had to rematch the teams so that there would not be tipoff conflicts. Therefore, we now have Heat vs All Lin and GPC vs Lob City, with the winners playing at the midpoint requirement of 3p. Captains of Heat (playing earlier than usual) and GPC (playing later than usual if they win) have been notified and they have confirmed.
- SF-DL/Gold had tipoff conflict issues from the get-go, i.e., when we made the first draft post last night at 7pm, and all captains affected have already been notified. SF Sonics are playing 1 hour outside timeframe; if they have any major issues with that, they need to text me immediately.
- SF-NC had tipoff issues for the Free Agent game from the get-go, and there’s really nothing we can do about that. They’re stuck at 12p tipoff.
- NC/AM- (Lower) is now playing this Sun 4/6 while NC/AM+ (Upper) will sit with a bye. The reason for this is, quite simply, NC/AM- BlackOut’s bye request for 4/13, which was not caught by my Oakland scheduler the first time around. As you can see on the bracket, because of that bye request for 4/13, it’s better to play the NC/AM- Winners Bracket game involving BlackOut this Sun 4/6 now and also have the first of what normally would have been a mini-final-four doubleheader in the Losers Bracket. So the winners of two Losers Bracket games on 4/6, because of BlackOut’s bye request, luck out in terms of not having a doubleheader on 4/6 and the two winners playing against each other on 4/13. That also means BlackOut’s opponent, the Hawks, will sit 4/13 whether they win or lose on 4/6. The other issue with this is that we didn’t have enough time slots for the Losers Bracket doubleheaders, anyways. Again, the other consequence of this is that NC/AM+ (Upper) takes a division-wide bye this Sun 4/6.
- The Association will sit this Sun 4/6 with a bye. With the limited time slots due to the AAU tourney, we had no choice but to pick one other division other than NC/AM+ to sit. We chose The Association because of the complexities in their scheduling.
- We have not altered the schedule/matchups for O-DL/G, O-DL/S, or O-NC/PM since the last draft that posted at 7p last night.
- After a 30-point loss to the Soul Vikes last week and a lengthy discussion with the captain, Street Rats has been moved to SJ-NC’s Losers Bracket. Since they would’ve been the #1 seed in SJ-NC, we have named them the #0 seed, accordingly (see the bracket). There’s only one thing I’m left puzzled with: How did they beat Soul Vikes during the regular season and why did Soul Vikes have such mediocre results during the regular season? Albeit on paper, those two factors contributed heavily in putting Street Rats in SJ-DL. In any case, we moved forward, which brings us to…
- SJ-NC Losers Bracket had to be rematched due to tipoff conflicts. So now you have the Regulators vs Street Rats and Gunners vs SJFA merely due to tipoff availability, with the winners playing again at the 3p midpoint. Street Rats had approved a 3p tipoff as a result of a previous proposed matchup when they were still in SJ-DL, but now with the change, we are hoping that they can field a team at 1p. There’s really no other way around it, considering the bracket.
- In SJ-DL, Bad News will take a bye this Sun 4/6 as a result of Street Rats dropping to SJ-NC. They await the loser of Soul Vikes vs Splash City.
- In SJ-DL, Soul Vikes vs Splash City was moved from 1p to 2p (we posted what we thought were finalized tipoffs last night at 7p), due to the aforementioned changes. This is still within both teams’ timeframes.
- Also in SJ-DL, BBOF vs Bad News was played last Sun 3/30, so BBOF will also take a bye. Because we started with five teams in the middle division and did not want to penalize the 5th seed just because they happened to be the last team where the line was drawn, BBOF and Bad News would’ve either had the bye last Sun 3/30 or this Sun 4/6. When there’s a choice, we usually pick to have the game sooner rather than later to mitigate any risk of unforeseen gym issues messing things up.
- The remainder of the SJ schedule at 12p and 4,5,6p has remain unchanged from the last post at 7p last night.
THU 4/3 (7:15PM) — Brackets are done and most of the scheduling is complete. SJ is a lock. We’ll let OAK and SF marinate a little whereas OAK is about 99% done and SF still has those games in red that need to be incorporated based on the teams’ responses.
Looking at the SF brackets right now. My oh my, did we have some upsets! I’m hoping to get a recap from my OAK peeps and then maybe next week with SJ since they just started last week. Here are a few observations for SF:
- SF-TA: I’m pretty shocked Cream Of The Crop lost, but they tell me they played horrible defense. Would not have expected Sole Legit to step up like that, especially after they expressed reservations of being in the top bracket, which to me was an indication that they, admittedly, were not as strong as in seasons’ past, especially with the departure of the “Blake Griffin-like” Jason Smith (he is moving out of the area). This opens the door for the up-and-coming Squadron to seize control of the brackets while the Losers Bracket embarks on doubleheaders starting the round after this Sunday. BallsOut vs Rock Center is intriguing. They haven’t played each other yet, and while BallsOut only beat Tru by 7 and Cool Guys by 3 during the regular season, Rock Center only lost to the previously invincible Cream Of The Crop by 5. In the Losers Bracket, there are six teams, therefore the higher seeds will await the lower seeds to advance on the same day (doubleheader for the winners of those lower-seeded games). The Vikings face a similar We Goofy team as they are both dark horses with more ball movement versus the athleticism of most of the top teams. Meanwhile, it’s Tru vs BTR in a clash of athleticism (Tru) vs system play (BTR). From a scheduling standpoint, we have to assume the higher-seeded teams will win, which means #1 Cream gets to play the lowest of the seeds, which we have to assume is #7. Similarly on the other side, we match #3 Cool Guys in the assumption that Vikings will advance. Of course, we could end up with #10 We Goofy advancing such that #1 Cream actually is not playing them, but there’s nothing we can do about that, we have to schedule things in stone so as to have as few variables as possible. In cases like this, you just go back to the saying: “Welp, you’re in the Losers Bracket. You need to start winning, and it will eventually go through a higher-seeded team anyways.”
- SF-DL/Gold: In the Winners Bracket, the Bus Drivers were the beneficiaries of a pre-scheduled forfeit by the Prodigies due to lack of players. They face the SF Sonics, who were the underdogs in the defeat of the #1 Braddaz. These two teams were, quite frankly, some of the least I expected to make it to the Winners Bracket showdown, in which the winner takes a stranglehold of the brackets and assumes a huge advantage over the remaining teams in terms of avoiding a doubleheader at all — barring any unforeseen gym or team scheduling issues — even if there is a Repeat Championship needed. So that sets up quite a mini-final-four bracket in the Losers Bracket for this Sun 4/6. Matched up by best-vs-worst seeds, it’s the Prodigies vs the Braddaz and the Putties vs Frisco’s Finest, then the winners of each. That’s a pretty cut-throat mini-Final-Four.
- SF-DL/Silver: Good to see the much-maligned Lay-Up City break through after “pounding the rock”, as they say, over the years. Huge wins over the formidable #1 BTR (DL) and #4 Lob City leave them to face yet another tough challenge, the three-point whiz #7 SF Kings. Meanwhile in the Losers Bracket, we have an interesting re-alignment of the bracket whereby if the highest seed, #2 Heat faced the #6 All Lin, we’d have a repeat matchup of #4 Lob City vs #5 GPC. Since we can avoid the repeat and because repeats make the previous bracketed matchup irrelevant, we rematch it to be #2 Heat vs #5 GPC and #4 Lob City vs #6 All Lin. The winners have to face each other in a doubleheader anyways. NOTE: With This Losers Bracket matchup may have to be scrapped, depending on the timeframes, as there’s already issues with GPC’s 10a-12p request; we’ll just have to see how the captains respond to my scheduling texts later tonight.
- SF-DL/Bronze: #5 Cold Pizza has a bye request for 4/13, so we’re going to take advantage of that considering we have a mild tipoff conflict with the winners of the Losers Bracket (All Show No Go having a timeframe of 2p+ compared to everyone else). So with that, it allows us some breathing room. As far as the competition is concerned, it’s good to see that the early season losses to strong teams by Cold Pizza has paid off to a degree. I still think B-Boyz are the team to beat.
- SF-NC: Interesting to see the two Free Agent teams winning in the past round, although the both games came down to one possession at the end. Really, it’s anyone’s bracket and the winner of the Free Agent matchup this Sun 4/6 will take control of it with a huge advantage while the others play survival of the fittest.
THU 4/3 (3:30PM) — I have put all of the Special Request timeframes for this Sun 4/6 directly onto the brackets for the teams in question, so you can see immediately if your matchup in the bracket has a tipoff timeframe conflict or not. Meanwhile, we have just started bracketing the 5-team SJ-TA, SJ-DL, and SJ-NC. Actually, SJ-TA only has four teams because Bompton has not returned any of my calls after forfeiting last week and playing the entire season on just 1 or 2 roster slots paid. So much for me trusting the captain even though we had multiple conversations. Not the first time I’ve been burned and now you can see why payments is a very touchy subject for me and why I get very reactionary when people don’t pay on time.
THU 4/3 (12:00PM) — We’re still in the process of updating brackets. Sorry for the long delay. We expect to have the schedule up by midnight tonight… WED 4/2 (4:45PM) — As mentioned on the Playoff Brackets page (link below), we will be updating the brackets tonight. Two captains mentioned that the Special Requests sheet wasn’t updating properly, so we’ve republished it and it should be up-to-date with your issue.
Please note, it is quite simple to see if your Special Request is going to work or not this Sun 4/6. Simply goto the Playoff Bracket page and you’ll see that every team has their timeframe after it. So you can figure it out yourself. Total transparency.
If there is a potential conflict coming up, best to text me and start the process of negotiating an agreeable time, otherwise, I may have to make executive decisions in which “The Good Of The Many Outweigh The Good Of The Few.”
ONE MORE THING: WE ARE UPDATING PAYMENTS YET AGAIN. IF YOUR TEAM IS NOT PAID, THEN I WILL JUST HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THE LEAGUE. Any problems, text me.
SAT 3/29 (10:00PM) — Due to the rain and condensation at MDLS, we have moved all games 3p-9p that were at MDLS, to ISAH. See the schedule below. All captains involved (7 games = 14 teams) have been texted and asked to reply back for confirmation.
FRI 3/28 (1:45AM) — All tipoffs have been published. Any questions, have your captain text me. Peter will be online at about 3pm today to list out all the byes. However, you can see all the byes on the playoff brackets.
In SF, you can see that we are running the LETSGOWARRIORS.COM “THE CITY” 6’3″ TOURNAMENT.
THU 3/27 (5:30PM) — We have the draft of the schedule, but still need time to formulate tipoffs. I hope to get it all done by midnight tonight. Sorry for the delay. Check the brackets!
THU 3/27 (8:45AM) — All of the brackets and dates for the games for the brackets, as well as teams’ timeframes have been updated on the brackets. SJ brackets won’t post til next Sun. There’s a couple issues like the Chieftains vs Sole Supr A game and Prodigies in SF requesting a bye, so I don’t know what to about those just yet. I’m off to Warriors practice, be back at this in the afternoon. So will Peter…
THU 3/27 (7:45AM) — Still hacking away at the scheduling and the brackets. Working on the brackets page as we speak — only SF-TA remains. Thanks for your patience. Looks like the brackets (which will have the matchups and progression of possible matchups) won’t be done until 2pm today, which will then lead to scheduling, which will probably be done by night-time, as it’s not hard to go from bracket to schedule. You guys can even see the Special Requests page and already guess what time your game will be at.
MON 3/24 (2:30PM) — We are currently working on publishing the playoff brackets. They will look similar to the 2013 Fall Playoff Brackets, where you can see the progression of the brackets by the nodes of the brackets and the dates listed next to them (you will see this soon enough). Also, here are some issues or otherwise notes coming up in all 3 cities:
- SAN FRANCISCO: There is a 6’3″ tournament this weekend. On Sunday, the tournament will consist of a quarter-semi-champ format likely to be 9a,10a quarters, then 11a,12p semis, then 2p championship OR 10a,11a quarters, then 12p,1p semis, then 3p championship — at ISA except for two of the quarterfinal games in the morning. We will work the dreamleague playoff games around this schedule. I think it is very doable, although there is a huge problem: There is forecast for rain this Sun 3/30 and we know how bad MDLS can get.
Therefore, what we will do is try to schedule all the same division at MDLS or ISAH, with the tournament definitely happening in the morning at MDLS and until 2p-3p tipoff at ISAH.
- OAKLAND: There’s going to be the annual AAU Rebels tourney on Sun 4/6, two Sundays from now. We have a backup gym in mind, so we’ll just see how it all settles. Things may pop up, but good to announce the impending conflict asap. If we are able, we’ll run games in the daytime at the backup gym and games in the evening at both the backup gym as well as the usual BCRC and WKRC.
- SAN JOSE: As previously announced, we will start playoffs for all divisions other than SJ-TA this Sun 3/30. We are probably taking the top 5 teams in SJ to represent the SJ-TA bracket. So be prepared for some doubleheaders in a #5 vs #4, winner vs #1 opening round on 4/6. Any further questions about playoff format, please text me.
SAT 3/22 (12:00PM) — The 4p,5p games at MDLS have been swapped, so that SFFA-NC-B will play at 5p now. See updated schedule below… FRI 3/21 (8:00AM) — Tipoffs have been finalized, scroll down below or hit the jump after the ending of this paragraph. Below the jump links are the issues you should be aware of…
- OAKLAND: We believe there is only one team in delinquency and we have spoken to that team already.
- SAN JOSE: Most of the teams are paid up, but those that are not, we will track down very soon.
SAN FRANCISCO: At last count, there were about 7 to 9 teams that are still delinquent. We will track those down very soon.
- SAN JOSE: SJ-TA will complete its regular season on 3/30. This was discussed in the last post below, and involves a small quirk. If you’re not in SJ-TA, your regular season will conclude this Sun 3/23.
- SF-TA ONLY: Next weekend Mar 29-30, we will be holding a 6’3″-&-UNDER tournament which will add games to the gym schedule. Therefore, we have a seemingly weird schedule (but actually not) for SF-TA this Sun 3/23. There are ten teams in the field here and, normally, you would go #7 vs #10 and #8 vs #9 and leave it at that, not forcing any teams into a first-round bye. In other words, you wouldn’t force the two winners of #7 thru #10 to then immediately play a doubleheader against #1 and #2. By the same token, you would rest #3 thru #6 along with #1 and #2. As we described for Oakland in a previous post below, sometimes this has a parity-inducing effect by forcing a bye upon and slowing down some of the top teams who are running away with the division.
However, in this case, we have a tournament coming up, so let’s get as many games off the docket as possible now, on 3/23. Again, we will not force a doubleheader in the first round (there is no Losers Bracket yet, when doubleheaders become the norm). Therefore, #1 Cream and #2 BallsOut are the only teams in SF-TA that will have a bye on 3/23. The result of that is, the winners of #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 will probably have a bye on 3/30 so that the rest of the bracket can catch up — that also frees up two timeslots on 3/30 for the tournament. Hope that made sense.
- SAN FRANCISCO AND OAKLAND PLAYOFF TERMINOLOGY: Our playoff terminology can get a little confusing. Sometimes there’s “playoffs1” and “playoffs1a”. When there’s an 8-team bracket, it’s simple. There are no complications, no play-ins or byes, and you just move forward nice and evenly: playoffs1, playoffs2, playoffs3, etc. When there’s more than 8 teams, like 10, you essentially have a “play-in” for the bottom seeds, just like in the NCAA brackets. That’s when we label it “playoffs1a” because technically the winner of those low-seed games plays a high seed next, and that’d be “playoffs1b”.
The caveat to that is when we have a 7-team bracket. In that case, the only team that gets a first-round bye is #1 because there exists no #8 seed. So #1 just enters the bracket in the 2nd round and we label that “playoffs2”, therefore we label the first round “playoffs1” for a 7-team bracket and we don’t consider those games “play-ins”. It’s all aesthetics, so who really cares what you label a matchup, but this is just in case you were wondering.
Finally, you always stick to the mathematical matchups like in the NCAA Tournament. Let’s say you only have 5 teams for whatever reason. You DO NOT go #5 vs #2 and #3 vs #4, #1 gets a bye. No, you always stick to the #4 vs #5, winner plays #1, and #2 vs #3.
- ANY OTHER QUESTIONS REGARDING PLAYOFF BRACKETING: Any time you have a whole bunch of teams and you’re trying to stratify them, there are going to be “tweener” teams. We’re happy to explain. Just text me. Again, the whole idea is that the #1 seed in any given division shouldn’t blow out (by, say, 15 points or more) the worst seed, which means we are promoting parity. This can still happen due to unforeseen circumstances or playoff roster anomalies, but for the most part, we think we have already taken a lot of those into account. We’ll have to see. Any problems as we go, just text me.
THU 3/20 (4:15PM) — SJ tipoffs are done. You’ll need to scroll down to see them. Only thing I couldn’t mathematically make fair was giving TSA a doubleheader, because the way things worked out, they’ll have a bye next Sun 3/30 before heading into the playoffs 4/6, which is obviously undesirable. At the same time, the impending #1 seed, Bompton, will probably get a bye on 3/30 and sometimes when I’m forced to give a bye heading into the playoffs the following week, I try to give it to the teams that have been dominant all season, to try and slow their momentum to create a little parity. Of course, now that I’ve said that, I’ve probably placed a chip on their shoulder… THU 3/20 (3:45PM) — For SJ, I have concluded that it is mathematically impossible to fit all of the doubleheaders that we had planned into a gym schedule that requires a latest tipoff of 9p. Therefore, with the playoff bracket already taking form, it appears that the top five or six teams are a clear step above the seventh team and so forth. That means there is no rush to hurry SJ-TA. We can just have them finish up the regular season with 6 games for every team, by next week. So next Sun 3/30, SJ-TA will finish up and have a few regular season byes, while the rest of the teams get going with first-round playoffs.
THU 3/20 (3:30PM) — There’s a lot of problems with the OAK matchups for first round playoffs. SF and SJ should pay attention because the same principles should hold true (again, SJ is still in regular season):
- First off, All Out will drop to OAK-DL+ because they’ve reported their starting/impact big man out for the playoffs. He will not be allowed to return.
- Because there are six teams in the top division, we will go ahead and give the #1 and #2 seeds a bye. This sort of levels out the playing field a bit by not forcing the #3 thru #6 seeds to a first-round doubleheader.
- The same holds true for all subsequent #1 seeds in O-DL+, O-DL- (NOTE: if there’s a “+” or “-” after your division, that means we chose to call it “Upper” and “Lower”, or “plus” and “minus”, respectively), and so on. With our format, being a #1 seed in a division really doesn’t mean that the team gets any more special privileges because of they way we rank and make regular season matchups. So you’re bound to see more #1’s (and possibly #2’s) take a bye because it really isn’t fair to force one of the lower seeds into a first-round doubleheader.
Long story short: the OAK schedule is going to undergo some revamping. Peter will be available after 5pm today to do so.
THU 3/20 (1:45PM) — SJ matchups (they are still in regular season) are done as much as possible, but we’re at an impasse at the moment, waiting for two captains to respond, because of the divergent tipoff timeframes. As mentioned at the beginning of the season, SJ will always be a challenge because we can’t get the gym later than a 7p tipoff and there are some teams asking for season-long 4p or later tipoffs. Therefore, I will have to work on SJ when I get more data from certain captains.
THU 3/20 (10:30AM) — Both Peter and I are swamped this week, so it appears we will have to post the final tipoffs sometime tomorrow morning. Again, SF and OAK are in playoffs while most of SJ, although still in regular season, will do a doubleheader to “catch up”.
Here’s the latest OAK playoff matchups. Text me if you see anything wrong…
NOTE: read the above post from 3:30PM today, these matchups will likely change:
nc-am+ Playoffs1: #8 Frisco Hawks at #1 The Works
nc-am+ Playoffs1: #6 Bench Warmers at #3 Kryptonite
nc-am L Playoffs1: #6 Berkley at #3 Warriors-rec
nc-am+ Playoffs1: #5 All Ham No Turkey at #4 Rush Hour
nc-am L Playoffs1: #5 Hawks at #4 Sqad Up
nc-am+ Playoffs1:#7 Town Biz at That’s What She Said
nc-pm Playsoffs1a: #7 TO Kings at #6 FaceJam
o-dl+ Playoffs1: #7 Bastos at #2 Sole Spremacy B
nc-pm Playoffs1: #5 We Are Warriors at #2 Keep Dreamin
nc-pm Playsoffs1b: Winner-Kings/Face at #1 Dragon
o-ta Playsoffs1: #5 All Out at #4 Yack Em
nc-pm Playoffs1: #4 Rawkats at #3 Oakland Free Agent
o-dl L #4 MainEvent at #3Transpersonal
o-ta Playoffs1: #7 Shockers at #2 OIIM
o-ta Playoffs1: #6Rich City Chieftains at #3Undrafted
o-dl+ Playoffs1a: #9 Bezu MGL at #8 Oakland Sonics
o-dl+ Playoffs1: #5 Redhawks at #4 Scorgasm
o-dl+ Playoffs1:#6 Marvel at #3 Five Ten
o-dl L Playoffs1: #5 Eastbay Gators at #4 Kurruption
Chauntelle may be texting some captains who, upon last PayPal data upload, were behind. However, we still are in the process of updating with the latest and greatest.’
Thanks again for your patience.
WED 3/19 (6:45PM) — FAIR WARNING: It is about to be everyone’s 7th game (or more, but those who had more already paid for the extra regular season games). As you know, you started this season by paying 2 roster slots before I even scheduled you. By that same progression…
YOU MUST HAVE EIGHT (8) ROSTER SLOTS PAID BEFORE WE SCHEDULE YOU FOR THIS SUN 3/23
Those of you who are not paid up to date will be forfeited your first playoff game. There will be no exceptions. You have had plenty of time to catch up. You have had plenty of weeks to show up to the gym thinking like everything is for free (well, save for the $35 to the ref and scorekeeper). You would have to be REALLY IGNORANT to think that there are no further costs associated with running a league other than that.
Sorry for the ninth degree, but that is my #1 pet peeve of running Dream League over the past 12 years. It is the #1 reason why most leagues do not last more than 5 years. It’s because people continually show up to their games without any regard to “the grand scheme of things”.
Ok, lecture is done. Every year that we’ve had Dream League, the percentage of delinquents gradually goes down, but there are still “those guys” out there, so this is for that small minority of them.
THE REST OF YOU, THANK YOU FOR NOT BEING OBLIVIOUS AND I APPRECIATE YOUR CONTINUED INTEREST IN PLAYING IN AS FAIR A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD AS POSSIBLE, AND AS BEST AN HOUR OF ORGANIZED, WELL-OFFICIATED, PARITY-DRIVEN BASKETBALL THAT I CAN COME UP WITH.
Again, the payments are denoted by the light-green background of your team’s ranking page (SF, OAK or SJ below). Any problems, let me know. For example, some of the most recent payments we haven’t caught up with yet, but will in the next 48 hours.
Oh, btw, stats are being inputted as we speak. It’s slow, but at least it’s happening. The guy who inputted them last year is only getting back from being out of the country now, so it’s under development. You will have more news shortly.
SAT 3/15 (9:45AM) — Scorgasm vs Rush Hour was added at 1030a WKRC as their 7th or more games… FRI 3/14 (3:30PM) — In SJ, Pippen and Regulators have been swapped. Final result is below. This resolves the double repeat matchup issue. Yep, I pull rabbits out of hats.
FRI 3/14 (7:15AM) — Final tipoffs have been posted. Here are some major announcements, which you may skip by scrolling feverishly downward or hitting the jump links:
1. Does any team in OAK want to play against Rush Hour at 1030a, 330p, or 7p? Rush Hour signed up and paid the extra $20 for a 7th game, but we were not able to mathematically fit them. That means for them to play, (a) another team needs to want to play a 7th game and pay $20, and (b) we have to be able to fit this game somewhere and the available timeslots as you can see on the spreadsheet are 1030a at WKRC, 330p at WKRC, or 7p at BCRC.
2. As I was scheduling SF, I realized how some playoff brackets might shape up. I imagine this scenario would be similar in OAK and perhaps even SJ, although SJ “only” has 15 teams:
(a) While going down the list of teams and trying to match up without repeating this Sun 3/16, I noticed that a lot of SF teams are either morning teams (9a-3p or so) or evening teams (after 3p and, to an extent, largely evening time).
(b) There are some teams that have demonstrated the capability of playing in a higher division than at first thought, such as the Braddaz. However, their timeframe is in the morning. So it looks like the morning teams, and hence playoff bracket, will PROBABLY be:
SF Free Agents DL
The next team is GPC, but quite frankly there’s quite a fall off from Dynasty to GPC. So there you have it, probably the playoff bracket for what I would term as “SF-DL AM” (for morning time). So again, the problem is, if I put Braddaz in a higher bracket, how in the world would we schedule them (9a-2p) against, say, Sole Legit (7p-9p)? Impossible. So this field is actually not too bad. Top team Braddaz has beaten lowest seed Dynasty by 14, which I’m not comfortable with, but I really don’t have a choice — and at least it wasn’t a 30-point blowout.
(c) You can deduce the other brackets by process of elimination. There may be a difference between SF-TA and SF-DL in the PM, however, Below The Rim (TA) wants to play in the top division. Also, with the mantra of not repeating regular season matchups, we have Rock Center playing the best team right now, Cream Of The Crop, and that last matchup this Sun 3/16 should reveal a lot. So we’ll see.
(d) As for the remaining teams, that’s where we kind of start at the bottom and move up. For example in SF, I can see that there MIGHT be reason for just having SFDLNCA, SFDLNCB, Waterloo, and Ball So Hard in the bottom-most bracket (yeah, just 4 teams, but no game would be a blowout whereas if any of these 4 moved up a notch, they might be).
(e) Again, I imagine OAK and SJ playoffs will play out in a similar process to the above.
THU 3/13 (9:45PM) — SF matchups are now done if you click on the SF sheet. I’ll be double-checking OAK and SJ later. Obviously, we are now looking at the previously stated Friday morning ETA for the tipoffs to publish.
THU 3/13 (10:45AM) — We’re still going through the payments, so the scheduling will be a bit delayed. At this point, let’s say ETA for publishing tipoffs for this Sun 3/16 will be tomorrow early morning, but I’m hoping for tonight. However, there’s a draft version of matchups and probable tipoffs for OAK and SJ, thanks to Peter, below on the spreadsheet.
For the payments, the number of payments that you’ve made is shaded in light green on the SF, OAK, and SJ sheets in the spreadsheet. So if you have a game coming up this Sun 3/16 and that next game isn’t shaded in green, you are by definition behind in your team’s payment of roster slots. In fact, if the next game isn’t shaded, you’re officially behind because you’re supposed to be paid one up (remember, it was two roster slots minimum before playing your first game, and so on and so forth, i.e., 8 roster slots before your first playoff game which is also your 7th game).
THU 3/6 (7:15PM) — Final tipoffs have been posted below… THU 3/6 (6:30PM) — Draft has been uploaded to the spreadsheet below! Give me another couple hours to finalize it. Also, I would like to announce…
FROM THIS DAY FORWARD, NO MORE SPECIAL REQUEST FEES!!!
Yep, you heard it right. Just go ahead and make your special request, and again I thank you if you just never make a special request and stick to your 6-hour timeframe.
I came to this epiphany while talking to Mark Ramos of the Kababayans. Thanks, Mark! Anyways, as long as you guys make an effort to get your requests in, we’re fine. Scheduling isn’t as complicated as it once was anyways.
Back to work! Almost done!
THU 3/6 (6:00PM) — SJ matchups are now done in blue on the SJ sheet. Just need to write them on the 3/9 sheet… THU 3/6 (5:00PM) — I have a short meeting to attend, so I gotta leave SJ in its “in construction” phase right now, as you can probably deduce on the SJ sheet… THU 3/6 (5:00PM) — Already found a couple mistakes with SJ scheduling. I’m re-doing those completely. You’ll see matchup changes in blue on the SJ sheet, plus I’ve taken them all off the 3/9 sheet… THU 3/6 (4:45PM) — Draft of SF has been added. Next step: review and fix SJ games as needed.
THU 3/6 (4:15PM) — In SF, I’m gonna go with MDLS as the primary gym and hope that there’s no rain. I already bought the time there in bulk so I have to strive towards using that gym as much as possible. When it is a dry day, it’s arguably a better gym in terms of the floor and manageability of operations (garbage, restrooms, etc.)… THU 3/6 (2:30PM) — In OAK we gave some byes to slow some teams’ progression of games down. I’m doing the same with SF. All matchups are now in blue and likely to stay the same. Still waiting on replies from various SF captains, so we’ll so how it shakes out, but you can already see if you have a bye with the “*3/9 BYE*” indicator in blue on the SF sheet. It’s getting more complicated, so I’m not sure there’s any alternative.
Next step is to turn those matchups in blue on the SF page to actual matchups on the 3/9 sheet, even if there are no tipoffs yet. Meanwhile, OAK and SJ await final approval and we’ll get to those later. In OAK, we are waiting on confirmation of scorekeeping availability anyways.
THU 3/6 (1:45PM) — Not gonna name names, although you could just look it up yourself on the SF/OAK/SJ sheet, but I hate it when teams don’t continually pay, yet you see them week and week out show up to their game. That’s it, I’m raising fees by 5 weeks x $1.34 per week (as stated on the PayPal page as a deterrent to delinquents) right now. Totally messed up, guys. You know who you are.
THU 3/6 (11:30AM) — SF rankings are now done. Next step: see list of to-do steps below in previous post.
THU 3/6 (11:30AM) — Just noticed the data entry person who put in the +/- results on the SF/OAK/SJ rankings has now missed writing a game one more than two occasions. So if we’re missing a +/- result on there, kindly tell us before we schedule you a game too many. If we find out after-the-fact that you played too many games, we’ll have to charge you the $20 for the extra game before proceeding with your next game, so at least we know we broke even on the costs for running that game. Thanks.
THU 3/6 (11:15AM) — While doing the SF rankings, I realized there are some situations in which a game shouldn’t be counted in consideration for rankings. I’ve marked those with orange font. This would be a depleted team, for example. Let me know if there are any of those that affect your ranking, if you think the ranking needs adjustment. If you’re happy with your ranking, then I’d rather not tinker with it, despite any minute inaccuracies. I’m only about 25% done with SF. OAK and SJ are already ranked, with SJ going more “by the numbers” since we haven’t asked Ron or the scorekeepers there for their input on that yet.
THU 3/6 (11:00AM) — We are about 80% done with catching up to tracking all the payments. The way we are indicating if you’ve paid or not is by the same SF/OAK/SJ rankings pages. The cells for each game are colored light green if you paid for that slot. Since there are basically the same number of guaranteed games (6 regular season plus 2 playoffs), it makes it easier to track the minimum 8 roster slots that way too. More on this later, but you can start checking it and be mentally prepared, especially if you’re behind on payments.
THU 3/6 (10:45AM) — Just found out there’s an option to “republish as soon as changes are made”. Duh! So I’ve checked that box. Special Reqs sheet should always be updated henceforth, auto-magically. Also, the matchups for OAK and SJ are now up, but I’d say we are only about 85% complete in terms of tipoffs in those two cities. We’ll come back to those soon.
FOR THOSE OF YOU REQUESTING BYES ON 3/23 OR LATER, when playoffs have already started, please keep in mind: MAJORITY RULES. If there are 6 teams in your playoff bracket and 5 of them want to continue, while you’re the one that needs a bye because your guys are at a wedding, guess what: YOU FORFEIT. But, better to tell us ahead of time so we avoid gym charges and no-shows. No-shows are almost always charged to the team that didn’t show up (gym fees, referee fees) — it’s expensive, so don’t do that!
THU 3/6 (10:15AM) — My humblest apologies for the delay in posting and basically neglecting you for a few days. The Warriors are just playing too well this past week so over at LetsGoWarriors.com, we’re a little excited and doing a lot of stuff there. Thank goodness Mark Jackson gave the team the day off, so there’s no Warriors practice to go cover.
Meanwhile, thankfully we have our excellent staffer Peter who has already done a draft of both the OAK and SJ schedules. I’m doing SF simply because I know the teams there better and can do a better job of ranking the teams, just in case, plus there’s a ton of teams there. Next steps:
- (me): Upload Peter’s draft schedule for this Sun 3/9 OAK/SJ to the schedule below.
- (you): Continue to pay for roster slots. I still haven’t raised the fee yet.
- (you): Contact me if your team has the option to play 7 games by next Sun 3/16 and wants to.
- (me): Rank the SF teams, determine SF matchups, and list these matchups on the schedule.
Probable ETA for publishing the final tipoffs: Tonight 10:00PM would be my semi-safe guess. Sorry again.
SAT 3/1 (10:00AM) — Another slight change has been made. Due to scheduling complications, we have moved the 130p MDLS SFFA-DL vs Rock Center game from 130p to 730p.
FRI 2/28 (12:15PM) — Gotta make the executive decision right away: DUE TO THE FORECAST OF RAIN, WE ARE SWITCHING THE FULL-SLATE SAN FRANCISCO SCHEDULE FROM MDLS TO ISAH. Therefore, the 13 games that were previously at MDLS will now be at ISAH, and vice-versa for the 6 that were previously at ISAH (now at MDLS). Let’s hope the condensation problem at MDLS doesn’t still make those 6 games unsafe. We’ll see. The schedule has been updated accordingly.
FRI 2/28 (11:45AM) — WE ARE LOOKING FOR ONE MORE SCOREKEEPER TO ADD TO THE STAFF AS A BACKUP IN SAN FRANCISCO. As you should already know, it pays $10 and you’d be doing two of the following four functions: scoreboard panel, shotclock, points sheet, stats sheet. Text or email me asap before I post this on Craigslist. Easiest ten bucks ever.
FRI 2/28 (11:30AM) — SF Disgustingly Modest (8p) issue has been resolved by the good graces of Vikings switching to 9p. Yet another issue is being resolved involving SF Rock Center vs SFFA-DL… FRI 2/28 (11:00AM) — Problem solved: Prodigies (now at 7p) and Dynasty (now at 12p) have been swapped. Now working on a problem involving Disgustingly Modest… THU 2/27 (4:00PM) — There has been a miscommunication on the tipoff timeframe of SF-DL Dynasty, therefore we are looking for a team to play at 7p MDLS vs We Goofy (I put it in red). Meanwhile, we are also looking at placing Dynasty at an earlier time, which may also require a new opponent for them. Any SF captains interested, please text me immediately. Thanks.
THU 2/27 (1:30PM) — Final tipoffs have been published.
THU 2/27 (1:15PM) — For the teams that are ahead of schedule and want to play a 7th game, just have your captain text me. There are already two teams that have paid the $20 for this extra game and they are noted on their respective sheets as “PAID” for “Game7”.
THU 2/27 (1:00PM) — Draft of SJ matchups is now up. All three locations now at 99%. I’ll let it marinate for an hour, then hope to have tipoffs 100% finalized by 2pm today… THU 2/27 (12:45PM) — Matchups for SJ have been revamped in blue on the SJ sheet. Next step is to match them on the 3/2 sheet… THU 2/27 (12:30PM) — Made another update that brings SF up to 99% completion. OAK still at 99%. Now revamping SJ. I hope to solidify 100% all tipoffs by 2pm today… THU 2/27 (12:00PM) — Another draft has been posted, whereby I’d say SF is about 90% done, OAK is 99% done, and SJ still needs to be changed around… THU 2/27 (11:15AM) — SF will require a revamp as the Tru bye for 3/2 was not recorded properly. Also, SJ games will probably need quite a bit of revamp as well due to Outlawz needing two games at a particular time, Splash making a late request, and other complications.
Again, please do not make any requests later than Tuesday. That includes today. Thanks for not making what’s on my plate more complicated than it already is.
THU 2/27 (8:30AM) — Very rough draft now on spreadsheet for 3/2 below. Again, very rough. More changes coming.
THU 2/27 (7:45AM) — All the matchups are done. The SF matchups are in blue on the SF sheet. The OAK and SJ matchups are on the 3/2 sheet. There are some changes to be made to SJ because Hot Cheetos are out, so we have to rematch Outlawz plus with a doubleheader and they need to play at 5p,6p due to complications.
THU 2/27 (7:30AM) — PLEASE DO NOT MAKE SPECIAL REQUESTS AFTER THE DEADLINE OF TUESDAY MIDNIGHT. Often times, we still accept special requests after, but we had some made around midnight last night (Wednesday). This was after we already made a draft of the schedule. So are we gonna pull our hair out after we went through the trouble of making the draft of the schedule already? No. No dramas.
So if you make a request after the official deadline, please do not expect it to be honored. If you did not pay the $8, please do not expect it to be honored. All of these issues are merely logistical and appreciative of how hard it is to have moving targets stop moving.
TUE 2/25 (6:45PM) — So per the Calendar page, the playoffs will start on 3/23, meaning 3/16 is the absolute last day we can have regular season games. All teams *should* (read below) end up with (at least) six (6) regular season games. If any team has any issues getting 6 games done by 3/16 inclusive, please text me. Again, listed out:
- 3/2 – this Sunday
- 3/9 – next Sunday
- 3/16 – last regular season games!!
- 3/23 – START OF PLAYOFFS
So that brings us to our next two related issues:
IF YOU HAVE PLAYED FOUR (4) OR FIVE (5) REGULAR SEASON GAMES ALREADY, YOU MAY:
- Play two (or one) more games on 3/2, 3/9, or 3/16 to get to six (6) regular season games played, but I must know which one or two bye dates you want (please submit on Special Request form), or
- Play more than six (6) regular season games overall. DETAILS: To cover gym rental costs for the extra game(s), we would ask that you PayPal the league office $20. This is in addition to the usual $35 cash at the game for the refs and scorekeeper. You can play as many games as you want, as long as our costs are covered as explained ($20 PayPal plus $35 cash per game that is more than 6 regular season games).
IF WE DO NOT HEAR FROM YOUR CAPTAIN, WE WILL ASSUME THAT YOU WANT SIX (6) REGULAR SEASON GAMES AND RANDOMLY GIVE YOU BYES ON 3/2, 3/9, OR 3/16, AS NEEDED IF YOU ARE “AHEAD OF SCHEDULE”.
SAT 2/22 (8:00AM) — Made two relatively minor changes to the schedule:
- Swapped the matchups of Oakland Sonics and All Ham in OAK because All Ham has already played vs BlackOut
- Swapped the matchups of SJ Barons and Monstars in SJ because SJ Barons can’t field a team past 2p
FRI 2/21 (8:00AM) — OAK and SJ tipoffs are posted below. Any issues, text me. Still finalizing SF, but SF now has Rankings as well as matchups for this Sun 2/23, and every final score in SF has been accounted for (click on the SF tab), whereas there’s still work to be done on OAK and SJ even though their tipoffs for this Sun 2/23 are posted already.
Note: Three teams have doubleheaders, listed in purple. They are Oakland Free Agents, SF Free Agents Non-Competitive, and sf-ta CoolGuys.
As previously mentioned, there are quite a few teams with a bye. Check the BYE section below the schedule, in red. The teams that are ahead of schedule with 4 or 5 games played already (remember, 6 games needed before playoffs start 3/23) all have byes. Scroll down to the schedule or hit the jumps:
THU 2/20 (4:30PM) — Time to start talking about payments. I’m going to be VERY surprised if none of you are currently behind on payments. So be forewarned. If you’ve played a number of games, you need to have X+1 roster slots paid before your Xth game coming up this Sun 2/23. Payment link is here.
On the flipside, I would like to thank all of you responsible adults who have paid in full or have had your team pay on time, roster slot by roster slot. And understanding that gyms, refs, scorekeepers actually cost money so you’re not showing up every Sunday as if it were free. Much appreciated.
THU 2/20 (4:15PM) — All the teams have now been listed in the SF, OAK, and SJ tabs in the embedded spreadsheet below. All the previous posts have been placed under the spreadsheet (feel free to read up). I’ll leave the bye info below so that you know it’s rather urgent.
Again, if your team has already played 4-5 games, we need to force you a bye this Sun 2/23 so that the rest of the league can catch up. Next steps:
- Rank all SF teams. Try to determine which teams have played 4-5 games.
- Rank all SJ teams. Everyone will play.
- Post OAK draft schedule (Peter’s working on it right now).
- Post SF draft schedule with matchups (no tipoffs yet).
- Post SJ draft schedule with matchups (no tipoffs yet).
- Tomorrow morning: publish all tipoffs.
THU 2/20 (4:00PM) — The following teams have already played “too many” games and will need to take a bye this Sun 2/23…
5 games played: Rush Hour, Kryptonite, Bench Warmers.
4 games played: Shockers, Town Biz, Scorgasm, DongsKongz, Marvel, Frisco Hawks, Sqad Up, That’s What She Said
That’s for Oakland only. We will now check SF. Obviously, SJ just started so this is not an issue in that location.
THU 2/20 (3:30PM) — Here’s the overall “core dump” of teams. I will now transfer this to a Rankings/Payments sheet, but please make sure your team is on this list. If it’s not, you’ll be left off the scheduling. Also read the previous post about the teams ahead, requiring a bye:
OAKLAND (3 TA, 19 DL, 20 NC)
Sole Supremacy A
Rich City Chieftains
Sole Supremacy B
All Ham No Turkey
That’s What She Said
We Are Warriors
Oakland Free Agents
SAN FRANCISCO NOT RANKED YET: (6 TA, 19 DL, 9 NC)
Cream of the Crop
Below The Rim (TA)
All Show No Go
Lob City (SF)
Ball So Hard
SF Free Agents DL
SF Free Agents NC (maybe)
SAN JOSE NOT RANKED YET: (7 TA, 5 DL, 2 NC)
ThickNmeaty (no word back)
TSA Santa Clara
Hot Cheetos (probable)
Outlawz (start 3/2)
Basketballs Of Fury
Pippen Ain’t Easy
SJ Free Agents
THU 2/20 (3:15PM) — At first we were thinking of giving Oakland Free Agents a doubleheader to catch them up, but now that we realize Rush Hour has already played 4 games and, as the previous post indicated, it’s time to put the brakes on some of these teams that are way ahead, we will probably give OFA one game and give Rush Hour a bye.
Speaking of which, we’re also toying with the idea that teams that started early, these teams could “buy” more regular season games. After all, it’s all about having some fun and with our blanket ranking system, it actually is easier to schedule less byes than more byes. How much? Probably just $20 per game on top of your regular $35. So if you have like 8 guys, have the first 6 guys off the bench pay $3 each and the 7th guy $2. The 8th, just let him show up for free. That’s like eight bucks max per player, first 5 players. Idk about you, but that’s a no-brainer for me.
Only caveat to the above idea: if it’s hard to matchup teams because certain teams have already played each other.
THU 2/20 (3:00PM) — We are attempting to form a rec-level SF Free Agent team (the one in play right now is a D-League team). If anybody wants to play for fun, let us know, and if there’s financial hardship, we can work with you. Incidentally the SJ Free Agent team looks like it’s happening and I’ve already texted everyone on the list.
THU 2/20 (2:45PM) — Okay, so we’re realizing that a lot of you in SF and OAK have actually played quite a few games already, while the rest of the league just started. So for those teams that started early, like in January or on Superbowl Weekend 2/2 (e.g., Lob City SF has played 4 games already), we may need to hit the brakes a little bit and give you a bye this Sun 2/23, otherwise you might be on track for having 6 regular season games then waiting two straight weeks for playoffs to start on 3/23 (see Calendar).
THU 2/20 (1:30PM) — Quick thank you to all of you for being patient on this, plus Peter for tackling Oakland without really any solid spreadsheet to go by. There’s a lot of duplicates in the spreadsheet, a lot of different things to navigate around and scrub clean. While you might wonder, why waste my time on that, the truth is, having a more reliable pool of former teams helps us get more teams each season, which benefits you guys. I’m almost done having the final list, though, so stay tuned. Here’s the latest “core dump” ranking (no SF or SJ yet, see list posted in a more recent post):
THU 2/20 (9:15AM) — Here’s the core dump of Oakland rankings. I’m saving the aesthetics and putting them on the spreadsheet for later. Text me if you don’t think something’s right (see latest posted list).
THU 2/20 (8:30AM) — Still hacking away at this new spreadsheet. Here’s the latest:
- Peter has finished a draft of the Oakland schedule. Every Oakland team is playing, plus Oakland Free Agents have a doubleheader.
- So with that, every Oakland team is, to my knowledge, playing within its stated timeframe, even if they made a special request.
- Speaking of Special Requests, I have “republished” that sheet, so it’s up-to-date in the embedded spreadsheet below. I’ll try to remember to republish that page often, so you can see your request. However, I’m simply not online all the time, so it’s best to keep checking, but it’s a pretty robust Google feature, so once you hit “submit” and you see the confirmation screen, you should feel pretty good about it.
- Obviously, if you’re really really concerned about your Special Request, well then simply keep checking it. You can email me to tell me to republish it, but sending me your request by email doesn’t mean it gets on the spreadsheet. I have way too much on my plate to be manually entering those requests. Get it? Thanks for following protocol. It is what it is.
Back to work on the Rankings/Payments spreadsheet! Sorry to say, ETA for the SF and SJ tipoffs is probably tomorrow morning, but I remain hopeful it will be before then. Just depends on the spreadsheet beast. Again, the major hold up every week is said spreadsheet, so once I build the damn thing, we’ll be back to posting tipoffs more reasonably on Thursdays. Just so you know, the sheet has all of our previous teams on it as most of you are used to seeing on the Rumor Mill, so it makes things complicated. We’re literally in the flux between ditching the monstrous Rumor Mill for a more efficient system for seasons to come. That’s why you never saw the Rumor Mill, i.e., there’s gotta be a better way going forward for both this season and registrations of future ones.
WED 2/19 (3:30PM) — We are about to start ranking teams. As most of your are aware from our not really having divisions, we rank you, you play against a team ranked close to you, you win or lose, and you get ranked again for next week’s matchups. That’s for six regular season games and by the end of that, we hope you’re settled into a group of other teams with similar parity.
That being said, if your team got blown out or blew some other team out, or even if you had a close game but expect your team to be much better or worse next time around, you need to tell us this because we are going by the final scores. Hit me up by text!
WED 2/19 (12:45PM) — Here’s a free agent team update…
- SF: no update yet, don’t have a good feeling about it which means any free agents would need to be placed on teams needing them, which is usually about a 20% probability
- OAK: looks good, team’s already launched so we’re “ride or die” — I’ll make it happen, don’t worry
- SJ: Still giving it 50/50 but working on it. Haven’t looked at the list lately, but have gotten inquiries. More details later.
WED 2/19 (12:15PM) — Hey folks! Back from New Orleans, where I had a blast, but the bad news is, I had to take all of Monday for a recovery day (the throngs of you EDC folks would understand, I suppose) and so I’m still catching up on registrations and figuring out how to mesh all of that with Rankings and Payments. Good news is, I am excited about:
- Meshing the Rankings and Payments onto one spreadsheet, to be embedded by tomorrow, and
- The fact that we have about 15 teams registered for San Jose, which is an “all aboard” this Sun 2/23.
So hang in there. Peter will be ranking all Oakland teams this afternoon and I have my staff working on updating all the scores in the Comments column from 2/16.
Once the integrated Rankings/Payments spreadsheet is live, things will be a lot smoother. I wish I had come up with this 3-4 seasons ago.
SAT 2/15 (12:15PM) — Gym director in San Jose has received our papers and so the tipoffs there are a go…
FRI 2/14 (10:00AM) — Due to a scheduling error in which we had a repeat matchup, we have changed the schedule slightly at BCRC to the following:
9:00 AM BCRC o-dl Undrafted at Marvel
10:00 AM BCRC o-dl Frisco Hawks at DongsKongz
All captains involved have been texted.
FRI 2/14 (9:30AM) — Added Pippen vs BBOF to SJ schedule. Still no word back from AHHS gym director yet… FRI 2/14 (6:00AM) — SJ tipoffs have been posted, however, we’re actually still awaiting confirmation from the gym director. So keep your fingers crossed.
Meanwhile in Oakland, we now have the Free Agent team there and Dragon plays them, with a doubleheader for Dragon.
FRI 2/14 (5:15AM) — Schedule has been posted for SF and OAK. The explanations for the teams taking a bye this Sun 2/16 are explained in red at the bottom of the schedule. Some SF teams we gave a bye due to constrained special request or the fact that the team is already humming along with games played and competitively speaking in terms of finding the best parity-based matchup, we decided to just give a bye for 2/16.
We are still working on San Jose.
THU 2/13 (5:15PM) — Here’s the status of the current schedule:
- SAN FRANCISCO: This is my fault, guys. Peter is doing the OAK schedule and has diligently posted a draft version below, which will become final sometime tonight, I would imagine. I’m in charge of SF because Peter’s work schedule prevents him from doing more than OAK right now, but as some of you know, I’m currently in transit to New Orleans to cover the All-Star Weekend for LetsGoWarriors.com. In fact, I’m typing this as I’m on the flight. I’ll land in NOLA soon and will stay in the hotel room until the schedule gets done, promise! ETA on posting the tipoffs for SF is tomorrow morning, Fri at 8:00AM PST.
- OAKLAND: Peter has posted a draft, which should have final tipoffs by the end of this evening, Thursday. Any issues should still go through me and then I’ll let him know about it.
- SAN JOSE: This is also my domain. So, we wait. Plus, yesterday during my busy schedule prior to the Heat/Warriors game, I stopped by AHHS to dropoff the check for the gym. The good news: On my last informal count, we have 12 teams! The bad news: The gym director was in a meeting when I dropped off the check, so he actually still hasn’t confirmed we can start this Sun 2/16. There’s no indication based on our last two talks that we wouldn’t be able to. ETA on posting the tipoffs for 2/16 is also tomorrow morning 8:00AM.
TUE 2/11 (7:00PM) — We have finished ranking the Oakland teams only. If your team is not listed in the Rankings tab in the embedded spreadsheet below (in the Oakland Athletics’ green and yellow), have your captain text me immediately. That will be the list from which we generate the schedule each every week. We’re still working on SF and SJ, of course.
TUE 2/11 (4:30PM) — Added the bullet point about payments… TUE 2/11 (4:00PM) — Made a few updates to the list below, so if you read it before 4pm today, please be sure to go over it again. Specifically, I added the overlap and 2/16 President’s Day bullet points… TUE 2/11 (3:45PM) — Just making incremental progress here. Peter is currently ranking all the Oakland teams while I finish out the final Rumor Mill list. I have totally underestimated how time-consuming it is to setup a spreadsheet that you can all see. In any case, here are some issues we are addressing:
- Payments are on Honor System for another week. We will ask you, “Did you pay?” You’re supposed to be paid up through X+1 roster slots, where X = the number of games you’re about to play this upcoming Sunday. So if it’s your 3rd game this Sun 2/16, you should have 4 slots paid as you read this. Remember, all roster slots go up by $1.34 starting next week and we’ll start leaving off teams that are delinquent from the schedule. But all in all, it would be great if you the captain or the player were just responsible for your own players’ or individual payment and just take care of that asap like a responsible adult — unless, of course, you’re in financial hardship and really do need to plan such things out, which our timeline does allow a little bit for, obviously.
- Overlaps. If you have a player on your team who plays on another team, hopefully you included that in the Overlap field when you registered your team. If you think you may have forgotten it, it does not hurt to put it in a Special Req and just request your same timeframe that you already have and put the overlap in the Comments field. Some teams have already started doing this if you just look at the Special Req tab for the submissions.
- That being said, I’m thinking of adding an Overlap submission form. That way, everyone can see everyone else’s overlapping players. That actually also helps out in competitive rankings and parity. The more transparent we are, the better.
- Are we playing this Sun 2/16? Yes! I know it’s President’s Day Weekend, but due to 1/26 49ers game and 2/2 Superbowl, we want to forge ahead and not get caught with championship games left over and us running into the brick wall otherwise known as Memorial Day Weekend. So plan on planning this Sun 2/16, thanks.
- When you Make a Special Request (link is on every page in the righthand panel), sometimes the spreadsheet on this page doesn’t get updated. Nothing I can do about that unless I “re-publish” the embedded spreadsheet, and my problem is, I’m not always online to do that. However, Google Forms is pretty robust, so when you hit submit, assuming you filled out everything correctly, you should be fairly confident it will get on the Special Reqs sheet below on the embedded spreadsheet.
- Scores and registrations are coming along. Just be patient. We’ll get there soon. Thanks.
FRI 2/7 (7:30AM) — Schedule is done. There were slight modifications to the last draft, although remember the last draft didn’t have any tipoffs on it, so it wasn’t final. If you want to see our previous posts about the schedule, scroll down or click the jump accordingly. Any issues at this point need to be texted to us (email is too slow).
THU 2/6 (5:15PM) — We have a draft! Scroll down or hit these jump links. Oakland is pretty much done, so it’s in chronological order and we will fill in tipoffs by tonight. SF still might need some work, like 75% done, but the matchups are there…
THU 2/6 (2:30PM) — As far as today is concerned, Rich is currently working on SF scheduling and Peter on OAK scheduling. For the SJ folks, remember, we’re scheduled to start SJ on 2/16 and you should’ve received an announcement and some good news about the SJ gym by email today.
THU 2/6 (12:00PM) — Still working on the schedule, but here are the proposed matchups. Please text Rich if you do not like a matchup that has been proposed below…
sf-nc All Lin at Bus Drivers
sf-dl Braddaz at Putties
sf-dl Sole Legit at Cold Pizza
sf-dl All Show No Go at Prodigies
sf-dl Heat at Lob City
sf-dl Waterloo Mangudais at We Goofy
sf-dl Rock Center at Ball So Hard
sf-dl SF Kings at Dynasty
sf-dl Lay Up City at GPC
sf-ta Balls Out at Vikings
sf-ta Below The Rim at Cream Of The Crops
sf-nc Tru at Sonics
sf-nc Kuyabrudda at B-Boyz
sf-nc Disgustingly Modest at SF Warriors
sf-dl Ball so Hard at Frisco Finest
sf-dl Frisco Finest at Braddaz
o-dl Heem Team at Kurruption Rec
o-dl Undrafted at Red Hawks
o-dl Oakland Sonics at DongsKongs
o-dl Scorgasm at Bezu MGL
o-dl Five Ten at Bastos
o-dl Frisco Hawks at Marvel
o-dl Transpersonal at Sole Supremacy B Team
o-dl All Out at Main Event
o-nc Kryptonite vs Sqad Up
o-nc Eastbay Gators at Berekely
o-nc Town Biz at Benchwarmers
o-nc Warriors Rec at WWWD?
o-nc To Kings at Keep Dreamin
o-nc Rush Hours said at Hawks
o-nc All Ham No Turkey at Blackout
o-nc We are Warriors at Rawkats
o-nc That’s What She said at Facejam
o-ta OIIM at Shockers
o-ta Sole Supremacy: Only Late team in O-TA
o-ta Yack Em: only 1 hour time frame, 1p-2p
o-ta Rich City Cheiftains: cant match up to either team
sf-dl Ball So Hard
sf-dl Frisco Finest
WED 2/5 (8:45AM) — Looks like with the Special Reqs tab below, I have to hit “Republish” for the Google Spreadsheet to give you the latest and greatest. Therefore, we have a new policy:
If you submit a Special Request and it does not immediately show up on the spreadsheet, email me and I will republish it as soon as I can. Thanks.
WED 2/5 (7:45AM) — Due to various complications, we have officially moved back the last start date to join this season to next Sun 2/16 to give ourselves and some of you guys some more breathing room. If you can play this Sun 2/9, you should play on 2/9. Don’t push it back or ask for a bye out of laziness or to take advantage of the situation. We are doing this just to get more breathing room in certain isolated cases.
However, any teams that start on 2/16 will have to do a doubleheader on 2/23, 3/2, 3/9, or 3/16 to catch up and play six regular season games prior to double-elim playoffs. See the updated calendar page for how this shakes out.
Here are some to-do’s for us in the next 48 hours:
- Contact prospective free agents to form free agent teams.
- Finally post the latest Rumor Mill table list of registered teams (easier said than done).
- Enter the remaining missing final scores on the Comments column of each date tab below.
- Using the Rumor Mill list, come up with a Ranking list of teams (see last season’s Rankings tab).
- Also come up with a Payments list of teams so you (and we) can track your roster slots.
- We may not start inputting stats (on the old site dreamleague.org) until each division is fleshed out more, because once you enter stats for a team, the team must be in the right division, otherwise the PLAYER STATS leader boards for each division get all screwed up.
FRI 1/31 (3:30PM) — Schedule is done. See list of BYE teams, where we couldn’t find an opponent. Again, reference the Special Reqs tab for the list of teams that wanted to play this Sun 2/2.
THU 1/30 (7:30PM) — We are done with the first draft, but are having some problems with Google Spreadsheet. Anyways, if they do get resolved, please note, it’s not final yet, which is why we left out the tipoffs. Again, read our previous post… THU 1/30 (10:45AM) — I think we’re about at our maximum in SF in terms of teams interested and available time slots, unless there’s teams that want to go right up into Superbowl kickoff with a 2p tipoff. We have 9,10,11,12,1 as available tipoffs and it appears at least ten teams in SF ready to go (you can count them yourself on the Special Reqs tab below).
In OAK, Peter will begin scheduling (and he knows the relative strengths of the teams) starting this evening. We apologize for the delay on that. Read the previous post in regards to Oakland probable times.
THU 1/30 (2:15AM) — So we are going to go down the list of teams that requested a game this Sun 2/2 based on the “Special Reqs” tab of the embedded spreadsheet below. This list was generated from the information you inputted from the “Make Special Req For Sun” form, which is linked in the right-hand panel on every page on this website.
Let’s look at the numbers. According to the embedded spreadsheet, we have 12 teams in OAK that want to play this Sun 2/2. That means 6 games. With the Superbowl, that probably means 9a,10a,11a,12p at BCRC and 930,1030a at WKRC.
In SF, we have 8 teams that made a request to play. That probably means 4 games at ISAH: 9a,10a,11a,12a.
Of course, if you requested a time outside of these 9a-12p tipoffs, then there might be a problem. Such is the case with Oakland’s Waterloo team. And because there are 12 teams that want to play, if we can’t schedule Waterloo, then another team has to mathematically not play along with them.
We will continue scheduling the games throughout the day today (Thursday). Even though you won’t know your exact tipoff time for several hours, one thing you do know is, you’re probably playing this Sun 2/2 if you’re on the list that everyone can see. And you’re probably playing at 12p or earlier.
Again for future reference, normally you only use the “Make Special Req For Sun” page if you are requesting, for the upcoming Sunday, a bye or a more-constrained tipoff time than the season-long 6-hour window that you registered with.
TUE 1/28 (12:00PM) — If you do not want to play this Sun 2/2 or can only play during a certain time, please use the “Make Special Req For Sun” form, which is the fourth link under the LetsGoWarriors logo on the right-hand panel of any page on our website.
Then look at the embedded spreadsheet below and click on the Special Reqs tab to see that your request got automatically added to the list.
Please note, because it is Superbowl Sunday (i.e., an American way of life), we do not require the usual $8 change fee, so just put “N/A” for that field.
FRI 1/24 (9:45AM) — Schedule is now final. Had to do a swap of Warriors-Rec/Hawks/Kryptonite/Rush Hour due to scorekeeping staff, so please check the final version below as of 9:45AM this morning, meaning if you checked it before 9:45AM, you need to check it again… THU 11/23 (11:45PM) — Below is the first draft of the schedule. I’m going to let this marinate until 8:00AM Friday morning (a little over 8 hours from now) before saying it is final. Let me make sure games can be covered by my scorekeeping staff, etc.
The list of byes is at the bottom of the embedded spreadsheet below. Those of you who asked for a 2/2 start date are not listed as a bye for 1/26. For the full list of teams playing and not playing this Sun 1/26, please see the Rumor Mill page, which we used to schedule the matchups. The Rumor Mill itself was drawn up from the registration spreadsheet, which will soon be embedded in that very Rumor Mill page.
Sun 1/19 and Sun 1/12
THU 11/23 (11:45PM) — Only a few games were played on Sun 1/12 and 1/19. Please see the embedded spreadsheet above for those games. The teams that played those early Sundays will probably be able to request a bye later in the regular season as the rest of the other teams catch up.