WED 4/17 (4:00PM) — Here are the results from SJ from this past Sun 4/14…
- SJ-TA: SAE d. SBYI to take control of the overall bracket. Meanwhile in the Losers Bracket, the Outlawz eliminated Shoepreme. That means on 4/21, Outlawz will face SBYI, with the winner playing against SAE for the championship, both games planned for this Sun 4/21. However, because of the double-elimination format, if SAE loses that does *not* mean the team they lost to wins the championship; they get to come back on 4/28 with a Repeat Championship matchup, winner takes all. Hope that makes sense.
- SJ-DL Upper: Soul Vikes d. Hot Cheetos, then Fully Loaded forfeited. Because Fully Loaded already lost a game, that means Soul Vikes are the champions!
- SJ-DL Lower: Bad News d. SJ Barons to take control of the overall bracket. Meanwhile in the Losers Bracket, the SJ Free Agents upset B-Team. That means on 4/21, SJFA will face SJ Barons, with the winner playing against Bad News for the championship, both games planned for this Sun 4/21. However, because of the double-elimination format, if Bad News loses, that does *not* mean the team they lost to wins the championship; they get to come back on 4/28 with a Repeat Championship matchup, winner takes all.
- SJ-NC: Magikarp d. BBOF to take control of the overall bracket. Meanwhile in the Losers Bracket, the Replacements upset Book Of Revelasians. That means on 4/21, Replacements will face BBOF, with the winner playing against Magikarp for the championship, both games planned for this Sun 4/21. However, because of the double-elimination format, if Magikarp loses, that does *not* mean the team they lost to wins the championship; they get to come back on 4/28 with a Repeat Championship matchup, winner takes all.
MON 4/9 (1:30PM) — The SJ playoffs are underway and they’re actually quite simple: three or four teams each bracket. Remember, we have double-elimination playoffs. It’s what we do at Dream League for our flagship Sunday leagues. Also as it pertains to SJ, we are running out of gym space with our contract at AHHS. That’s why I’ll need to cram with some doubleheaders. Helps keep gym costs down and in SJ, gym costs are killing me (esp the 2 weeks we had a ARYC). I might have to have our 4/21 championships up in SF and I’d probably pay your scorekeeper fees, for example, just because those total costs are STILL cheaper than San Jose! Read on. Here’s what we have in SJ:
- SJ-TA: #1 SAE, #2 SBYI, #3 Outlawz, #4 Shoepreme — After the first round on 4/7, we now have #3 Outlawz vs #4 Shoepreme where loser goes home. Meanwhile on 4/14, we have the Winners Bracket #1 SAE vs #2 SBYI, with the loser having to play the winner of Outlawz/Shoepreme later in the day. Of course, this is dependent on scheduling availability. At Dream League, we try to avoid a situation where one team is severely depleted. In any case, the winner of that 2nd game will have to come back on 4/21 to play the winner of SAE/SBYI due to the double-elimination format. One problem is, Outlawz has to leave for Afghan National Team training and will be gone 4/21 thru 5/12. Therefore if Outlawz is in the championship, we might have to wait until 5/12. Again, we are all in this together so we’ll have to come to some kind of agreement.
- SJ-DL Upper: Nomenclature-wise, I have decided that the teams that couldn’t quite hang with the top The Association teams were, with the benefit of comparison from SF and OAK, really so-called “D-League” teams. But this is just nomenclature; don’t worry about it, as divisions are divisions are divisions. So here, we have #1 Fully Loaded, #2 Hot Cheetos, and #3 Soul Vikes, by virtue of final regular season standings. After the round-robin on 4/7, we have all teams at 1-1. That defaults to seeding, therefore #2 Hot Cheetos will play #3 Soul Vikes for survival (again, two losses and you go home), with the winner to face #1 Fully Loaded in the championship. Fully Loaded earned the #1 seed with the regular season performance, so that’s how it is. This will all occur on 4/14.
- SJ-DL Lower: We have #1 Bad News Barrys, who won the head-to-head in the regular season vs #2 B-Team, #3 SJ Barons, and #4 SJ Free Agents, a team that wanted to go for the challenge of the higher division. After 4/7, we now have SJ Barons and Barrys in the Winners Bracket. In the Losers Bracket for 4/14, it’s SJFA vs B-Team, with the winner playing the loser of SJB/BNB shortly thereafter, still on 4/14. On 4/21 we have the winner of SJB/BNB vs the survivor of the Losers Bracket and a possible repeat game the same day, should the Losers Bracket survivor force another game.
- SJ-NC: Similar to SJ-TA and SJ-DL Lower, we have four teams. After the 4/7 games, we have #1 Magikarp vs #3 BBOF (which had, in explaining the seedings, lost a regular season game to #2 BOR) for 4/14. In the Losers Bracket we have #2 BOR vs #4 Replacements for 4/14. So the winner of BOR/Replace will play the loser of Magi/BBOF also on 4/14. Then on 4/21, the winner of Magi/BBOF will play the survivor of the Losers Bracket, with a repeat on the same day if necessary.
In all of this, I wanted to point out that most leagues don’t break it down by parity and offer championship t-shirts to lower halves of standings like I’ve done. Plus, most leagues only do a final-four single-elimination playoffs and wouldn’t even let every team into the playoffs. I never liked that because, you never know, your team might muck the first game and your season is gone just like that. This allows for more error and adjustment, which is prevalent in the NBA. This all gets back to my mission of providing you the best possible oncourt experience. So anyways, kudos to Shoepreme and SJ Free Agents, who played up a division. Trust me, over time, this will pay dividends, assuming their teams stay together.
TUE 3/26 (8:00PM) — I am finally done with OAK. That was a beast. So all the brackets should tell you who plays who next, and when. Remember in OAK, there are a lot of teams that do not want to play this Sun 3/31, and then we have the AAU tourney preventing us from playing on 4/7, so there’s a lot of brackets that have the next round of games on 4/14. The only brackets missing are for SJ, and I’ll work on that tomorrow… TUE 3/26 (4:45PM) — Just updated all SF brackets. Next up: OAK.
TUE 3/26 (11:45AM) — Here are the playoff brackets for this season; click on the tabs for your division. I haven’t begun updating them with the results from 3/24 yet. Some of the divisions aren’t up quite yet as they haven’t entered playoffs yet (e.g., The Association divisions, all SJ divisions). The seeds and their determinations should be on the STANDINGS page of each division on the old site at dreamleague.org. Let us know if we’re missing anything.