THU 3/15 (3:00PM) — Tipoffs are posted below, scroll down or jump down. There’s one other administrative item. Unfortunately, per NBA rule, I have to suspend John Fernandez of rec-sf Run N Gun their next game. He has accrued two “Flagrant-Two” fouls, which amounts to 4 points in the NBA Playoff point system for flagrants, which amounts to an automatic one-game suspension. We use the NBA Playoff system for this, obviously, because the length of our season is more comparable to the NBA Playoffs than the NBA regular season.
Please note, I don’t think Fernandez acted maliciously in either incident. He admitted that he is first a football player, so it’s hard for him to stop his body. While there appears to be no malice, that explanation does not solve the problem at hand. The issue is that at Dream League, again, we are “Pleasantville” and you simply must be able to demonstrate safety, whether or not it’s your fault. As an analogy, imagine someone who gets into car accidents that are not necessarily their fault, and not being able to secure auto insurance or at least affordable auto insurance. The issue is the bottom-line tally of incidents.
Run N Gun has a potential doubleheader. They are in the Losers Bracket which means if they win the first game in the morning, they stave off elimination and advance to another game in the afternoon, whereby we are rapidly eliminating teams in the Losers Bracket — we will never force any team to play three games, though. So if Run N Gun wins their first game without Fernandez, obviously Fernandez can play in the second game. Of course, at that point, he’s still subject to the ongoing NBA flagrant rules as explained in the link.
Also, in the previous post, we accidentally left out aaa-oak HoopsQuad vs Colossal. That’s back on the docket.
THU 3/15 (8:00AM) — The schedule table below is now in chronological order, but we need to wait for confirmation on scorekeepers and look for overlap issues. I would estimate that we’ll probably get the schedule 100% done and published with tipoffs by 3pm today. Scroll down and also check the special requests, scheduling issues, byes, and doubleheaders lists.
WED 3/14 (2:30PM) — The matchups for 3/18 are posted below. Freddie has helped me a lot with getting the seedings, brackets, and matchups figured out. The Playoff Brackets from which these were derived will not be posted until Friday at the earliest, while the final tipoffs will probably be scheduled by tomorrow 12p (check here for more updates). You can check your Playoff Seedings (not 100% posted yet, though) by using the League Navigator in the right-hand panel and searching on “Teams/Standings” for your particular team’s attributes.
Obviously, as is usually the case when we only post matchups without tipoffs, the matchups listed below are not in chronological order and the gym location could change within the city the gyms are located in.
The following teams have byes for this Sun 3/18…
- a/r-oak p2-LB: bye: #3 Grey Goose — 7-team bracket, 3 teams in Losers, top seed bye, 4 teams in LB for 3/25
- a/r-sj+ p2-LB: bye: #2 Marc Jackson Five — 7-team bracket, 3 teams in Losers, top seed bye, 4 teams in LB for 3/25
- a/r-sj- p2-LB: bye: #5 Space Jamz (SJ) — 7-team bracket, 3 teams in Losers, top seed bye, 4 teams in LB for 3/25
- aaa-oak playoffs1: bye: #1 Members Only, #2 HoopsQuad — 6-team bracket
The following teams are postponed to 3/25 due to lack of gym availability in SF. Also, these divisions only have 4 or 5 teams, so we can afford to stretch it out. The first two weeks of playoffs always results in more games than average during the regular season because of the low seeds playing doubleheaders, then the Losers Bracket the week after. We are in the midst of that. So it makes sense that we would have too many games to put in gyms. Next week Sun 3/25, more teams will be eliminated, therefore I do not expect this to be a recurring issue…
- AL/NL playoffs1b: Winner-Cob/BluP at #1 Rangers — lack of gym space in SF
- AL/NL playoffs1: #3 Ashton’s Finest at #2 Trybe — in OAK but this is my team and I need to be SK’ing in SF
- AL/NL playoffs1a: #5 Cobras at #4 BluePrint — lack of gym space in SF
- a/r-sf- playoffs1: #4 ZNGA at #1 Heatonkees — lack of gym space in SF (also helps me because I’m scorekeeping)
- a/r-sf- playoffs1: #3 Wolverines A/R at #2 Blazers — lack of gym space in SF
| SCHEDULING ISSUES FOR 3/18
9a Kuya: no other timeslot left, dh
11a Train: no other timeslot left, dh
4p Braves: YMCA 330p n/a, only slot
5p Falcons: only timeslot left
8p Prodigies: locked, scorekeeping
330p BTR/DAR/Stun: split diff
430p Dynasty Rec: (if won) only slot left
730p Main/Sole: tip conflict split diff
SPECIAL REQ FOR 3/18 (see MSR page)
BYES FOR 3/18 (*-natural, see roadmap)
| DOUBLEHEADERS FOR 3/18
rec-sf- dh: p2b-LB: Winner-Dyn/Duck at Lob/Hand
rec-sf+ dh: p2b-LB: Winner-TmCB/RNG at Kuya/FrisH
a/r-sf+ dh: playoffs1b: Winner-BTR/Dyn
6ft-osf dh: playoffs1b: Winner-TrnW/MisF
rec-o- dh: p2b-LB: Winner-OWR/TwnB
oak-pm dh: p2b-LB: Winner-HypeD/MID at Winner-StrG/LgtO
rec-o+ dh: p2b-LB: Winner-BlkC/SQ
AVOID THESE OVERLAPS FOR 3/18
|NOTES: If you see blank rows in the table below, there are errors; if so, please disregard the table and email me immediately.
All games in bold cannot be moved/swapped.
|3/18||9:00am||ISAH||rec-sf+||p2a-LB: #9 Kuyabruddaz at #6 Frisco Hawks||10a-3p||9a–1p|
|3/18||10:00am||ISAH||aaa-sf||playoffs1: #6 Stunners at #3 Problems||9a–4p||10a-1p|
|3/18||11:00am||ISAH||6ft-osf||playoffs1a: #9 Trainwreck at #8 Misfits||12p-5p||10a-p-|
|3/18||12:00pm||ISAH||a/r-sf+||playoffs1: #7 Full Tilt at #2 The Fam||12p-5p||9a–2p|
|3/18||1:00pm||ISAH||rec-sf+||p2a-LB: #10 Team CB at #5 Run N Gun||2p–7p||1p–7p|
|3/18||2:00pm||ISAH||6ft-osf||playoffs1b: Winner-TrnW/MisF at #1 Eagles||[12p-5p]||12p-p-|
|3/18||3:00pm||ISAH||rec-sf+||p2b-LB: Winner-TmCB/RNG at Kuya/FrisH||[2p-7p]||[9a-3p]|
|3/18||4:00pm||ISAH||a/r-sf+||playoffs1: #5 SF Warriors A/R at #4 Braves||(late)||11a-3p|
|3/18||5:00pm||ISAH||aaa-sf||playoffs1: #8 Zissou at #1 Falcons||1p–1p||11a-4p|
|3/18||6:00pm||ISAH||a/r-sf+||playoffs1: #6 Motionz at #3 Who’s Next||2p–8p||3p–7p|
|3/18||7:00pm||ISAH||6ft-osf||playoffs1: #6 Sonics at #3 Marin||(>5p)||4p–p-|
|3/18||8:00pm||ISAH||aaa-sf||playoffs1: #5 Prodigies at #4 Jumpmen||1p–p-||3p–p-|
|3/18||9:00pm||ISAH||aaa-sf||playoffs1: #7 Chaos at #2 Rack City||(>5p ok)||10a,5p–p-|
|3/18||9:30am||BHPY||a/r-sf+||playoffs1a: #9 BTR (AAA) at #8 Dynasty A/R||9a–a-||10a-2p|
|3/18||10:30am||BHPY||rec-sf-||p2-WB: #6 Wolverines Rec at #2 Illuminati||11a-4p||9a–2p|
|3/18||11:30am||BHPY||rec-sf-||p2a-LB: #8 Dynasty Rec at #3 Ducks||9a–2p||12p-p-|
|3/18||12:30pm||BHPY||rec-sf+||p2-WB: #7 Boogie Down Eagles at #2 SFFD||(12p-5p)||9a–2p|
|3/18||1:30pm||BHPY||rec-sf-||p2-WB: #5 Hapa at #1 Rothstein Kass||1p–6p||9a–2p|
|3/18||2:30pm||BHPY||rec-sf-||p2a-LB: #7 Lob City at #4 Handsome Devils||10a-4p||3p–3p|
|3/18||3:30pm||BHPY||a/r-sf+||playoffs1b: Winner-BTR/Dyn at #1 Stun Guns||[10a-3p]||3p–p-|
|3/18||4:30pm||BHPY||rec-sf-||p2b-LB: Winner-Dyn/Duck at Lob/Hand||[12p-2p]||[3p-4p]|
|3/18||5:30pm||BHPY||rec-sf+||p2-WB: #11 Aubergine at #3 All Show No Go||4p–4p||1p–p-|
|3/18||6:30pm||BHPY||rec-sf+||p2-WB: #8 Lay Up City at #1 Heat||(>530p)||3p–p-|
|3/18||9:00am||BCRC||rec-o-||p2a-LB: #5 Oakland Warriors-Rec at #3 Town Biz||9a–2p||10a-3p|
|3/18||10:00am||BCRC||oak-am||p2-LB: #5 Top Flight REC at #3 WWWD||10a-3p||10a-1p|
|3/18||11:00am||BCRC||rec-o-||p2b-LB: Winner-OWR/TwnB at #4 Kryptonite||[10a-2p]||10a-2p|
|3/18||12:00pm||BCRC||rec-o+||p2-WB: #6 Cereal Killers at #2 Franchize||10a-1p||11a-2p|
|3/18||1:00pm||BCRC||rec-o+||p2-WB: #9 LaoRu (+) at #5 Dragon||1p–6p||9a–3p|
|3/18||2:00pm||BCRC||rec-o+||p2-LB: #4 JS23 REC at #3 Team China||1p–6p||10a-5p|
|3/18||3:00pm||BCRC||oak-pm||p2a-LB: #4 Straight Gunnin at #3 Lights Out||11a-4p||2p–6p|
|3/18||4:00pm||BCRC||a/r-oak||p2-WB: #5 Mien JS23 at #1 Dream||12p-6p||10a-7p|
|3/18||5:00pm||BCRC||oak-pm||p2b-LB: Winner-HypeD/MID at Winner-StrG/LgtO||[2p]||[2p-4p]|
|3/18||6:00pm||BCRC||rec-o+||p2a-LB: #8 BlackCatz at #7 SQ||3p–p-||2p–7p|
|3/18||7:00pm||BCRC||oak-pm||p2-WB: #6 Triple Threat at #2 Inglorious Baskets||3p–3p||3p–3p|
|3/18||8:00pm||BCRC||aaa-oak||playoffs1: #7 Colossal at #2 HoopsQuad||1p–7p||5p–5p|
|3/18||9:00pm||BCRC||oak-pm||p2-WB: #5 Rawkats at #8 SpaceJams (OAK)||4p–p-||(>7p)|
|3/18||10:30am||WKRC||oak-am||p2-WB: #6 Hefty at #2 Grim Reapers||10a-1p||10a-3p|
|3/18||11:30am||WKRC||rec-o-||p2-WB: #2 Lao Ru (-) at #1 Black Out||11a-3p||10a-3p|
|3/18||12:30pm||WKRC||oak-am||p2-WB: #4 All Ham No Turkey at #1 Throwing Up Bricks||9a–2p||10a-3p|
|3/18||1:30pm||WKRC||6ft-osf||playoffs1: #5 Below The Rim 6FT at #4 Kurruption REC||10a-2p||1p–6p|
|3/18||2:30pm||WKRC||oak-pm||p2a-LB: #7 Hyperducks at #1 Make It Drizzle||2p–7p||10a-2p|
|3/18||3:30pm||WKRC||a/r-oak||p2-LB: #7 Redhawks at #4 Undrafted||10a-4p||11a-4p|
|3/18||4:30pm||WKRC||aaa-oak||playoffs1: #6 Underdogs at #3 O2M||2p–p-||11a-4p|
|3/18||5:30pm||WKRC||aaa-oak||playoffs1: #5 Rockit Scientist at #4 Kurruption AAA||4p–p-||12p-5p|
|3/18||6:30pm||WKRC||6ft-osf||playoffs1: #7 Beast (OAK) at #2 Pure Supremacy||12p-6p||2p–7p|
|3/18||7:30pm||WKRC||a/r-oak||p2-WB: #6 Main Event at #2 Sole Supremacy||1p–6p||(>8p)|
|3/18||8:30pm||WKRC||rec-o+||p2b-LB: Winner-BlkC/SQ at #1 Heartbreak Kids||[3p-7p]||4p–p-|
|3/18||1:30pm||PHHS||a/r-sj+||p2-LB: #6 Monstars (SJ) at #5 Rudy Gay||1p–6p||10a-4p|
|3/18||2:30pm||PHHS||a/r-sj-||p2-WB: #4 GBP at #1 Basketballs Of Fury||10a-3p||2p–p-|
|3/18||3:30pm||PHHS||aaa-sj||p2-LB: #4 Bring Protection at #2 SJ Hibachi AAA||11a-4p||1p–8p|
|3/18||4:30pm||PHHS||a/r-sj+||p2-WB: #4 River Of Life Christian Church at #1 SJ Barons||4p–p-||(230p-530p)|
|3/18||5:30pm||PHHS||a/r-sj-||p2-WB: #6 Wii Not Fit at #2 Pineapple Express||4p–p-||11a-6p|
|3/18||6:30pm||PHHS||a/r-sj-||p2-LB: #7 Good Shepherd Christian Community at #5 Space Jamz (SJ)||2p–7p||12p-7p|
|3/18||7:30pm||PHHS||a/r-sj+||p2-WB: #3 Anklebreakers at #7 Beast Mode (SJ)||3p–8p||(>7p)|
|3/18||8:30pm||PHHS||aaa-sj||p2-WB: #3 Ukourt at #1 God Bless It||(pm)||(>7p)|
ISAH = ISA High School, enter back pkg lot at 19th St and Carolina, SF (going to front of school no good)
BHPY = Bayview Hunters Point YMCA, 1601 Lane St, SF (arrive early as rear parking lot gate is closed)
BGCE = Boys & Girls Club Excelsior, 163 London: arrive early to find street parking.
SSFM/SSFX = South San Francisco HS Main and Aux gyms, 400 B St, South San Francisco: park in lot off El Camino and Ponderosa. Walk through school gate entrance and veer left, take sidewalk towards gym structure.
OCHS = O’Connell High School, 20th St betw Harrison & Folsom: enter side entrance on 20th St, if the parking lot gate is available, park away from the construction and nearest to soccer field, if the parking lot is closed then find street parking.
MDLS = Mission Dolores School, 455 Church Street (16th St), SF: enter black gated parking lot next to Children’s Council Building
PHHS = Piedmont Hills High School, 1377 Piedmont Rd, San Jose: use or walk to backlot by portables
AHHS = Andrew Hill High School, 3200 Senter Rd, SJ: park in large lot, gym is on left side towards the back, walk thru yellow pillars
WHSM = Wilcox High School (main gym), 3250 Monroe St, Santa Clara: main gym is on left side of campus, park in side spaces next to gym or large parking lot.
WHSX = Wilcox High School (aux gym), 3250 Monroe St, Santa Clara: park in lot, aux gym is accessible thru middle walkway between locker room and glass-window cafeteria, then a bit past swimming pool
JLHS = James Lick High School, 57 North White Rd, San Jose
BCRC = Bushrod Rec Center, 560 59th St. off Telegraph (not Shattuck!), Oakland (near Berkeley)
WKRC = Willie Keyes Community Rec Center (fka Poplar), 3131 Union Street, Emeryville, CA 94608
TFRC = Tassafaronga Rec Center, 975 85th Avenue, Oakland, CA 94621
IJRC = Ira Jinkins Rec Center, 9175 Edes Ave, Oakland
Previously posted issues pertaining to 3/18
TUE 3/13 (11:30AM) — Here’s a tweet I sent out yesterday which describes the kind of week we here at Dream League are already having…
This is after working 14 straight hours on Sunday. I thought I would take it a little easy, but this would soon prove to be impossible. Here’s why…
- MESSY SF GYMS: I got berated by the BHPY gym director due to the many plastic bottles and other trash left both under the team chairs and on the stage. Please clean up after yourself. If not, I will have to hire their janitor at $100 and I will definitely be spreading that cost to every team that shows up. Let’s say we have 10 games, or 20 teams, on any given Sunday. Each team will be required to bring $5, just like you already bring $25 for the ref, to help offset the cleanup cost. I suggest you tell your spectators to cleanup if you want to avoid this charge. For now, I’ve told the gym director I’ll stay and cleanup, but if it becomes too much work for me, you know me, I’ll say eff it, let’s hire a janitor. ISAH IS ALSO A MESS, SO CLEANUP AFTER YOURSELVES OR I’LL START REQUIRING A FEE FOR ME TO STAY THERE AND CLEANUP AT 10:00PM AS WELL.
- TEAM CHINA WILL FORFEIT ITS 3/11 GAME: I told them not to pickup Nick Mali for the REC, and sure enough it’s actually happened 4 times this season, 3 times in the regular season when nobody told me about it. Freddie plays on this team and even told his captain that there could be consequences for doing so. Of course, there are other teams in REC that are not playing fairly either, but the point is, you don’t take the law into your own hands.
- HEARTBREAK KIDS WILL FORFEIT ITS 3/11 GAME: Matt Tuffuor has only played in one regular season game and therefore is ineligible for the playoffs. Because he played on 3/11, Heartbreak forfeits that game. You can’t go all season long without an impact player then all of a sudden bring him in for playoffs. I mean, that’s just common sense. Also, a frontline with Low Saechin and Tuffuor is, in my opinion, AAA-REC caliber and definitely not REC, but that is a separate issue from Tuffuor not playing in at least 2 regular season games, 1 of them being in the last 3.
- STRAIGHT GUNNIN’ WILL FORFEIT ITS 3/11 GAME: The captain panicked when a bunch of his teammates said they couldn’t make it. So he had 4 and then called up backups who happened to be good players and had a major impact on the team winning. This is not kosher in Dream League. It’s kosher in every other league out there, but not in Dream League. When you are entering playoffs and your players bail on you, you show them that they’re bailing on you. You bring 4. You bring 4 and a scrub. You lose by 20. That’s what you get for picking those flakes up. That’s what they get for leaving you hanging. And yes, I have been in this situation. However, this hasn’t happened to me in years because I know whom to ask to play on my team and tell them in the beginning of the season that showing up is important, so don’t give me any false hopes.
- NEXT SEASON WHEN YOU SIGNUP YOU WILL NEED TO SUBMIT A ROSTER WITH HEIGHTS AND EXPERIENCE. ‘Nuff said on that. Please be reminded that we have the right to move teams up or down during playoffs as a backup to that. If you’re Straight Gunnin’, maybe next season you make sure your backups play in at least 2 of the 6 regular season games, 1 of which needs to be in the last 3 games.
- Please review the roster guidelines at http://www.drmlg.org/bay/leagues/sundays/divisions/. Here’s the thing. In other leagues, feel free to stack and stack and stack and win that coveted championship. In Dream League, we try to promote the oncourt experience as bar none. In other words, on the whole (not saying for every game and probably not for most crucial playoff/championship games), you would rather lose a close/suspenseful game that goes down to the wire rather than blow out a team that has an inferior ability to recruit the players that you have. The latter happens in other leagues, which is why they are not Dream League. Honestly, if you like the latter, I won’t take it personal if you play in those other leagues. Here in Dream League, we have plenty of divisions for you to find the right fit and have an enjoyable oncourt experience for both teams.
- In Dream League, it’s better to signup for the wrong higher division than lower division. Maybe I need to spell it out even though I’ve been doing this for years already, but if you’re a cellar dweller in any division, we can move you down for the playoffs. By contrast, moving up is so much more difficult on everyone involved. So maybe I need to spell this out in the registration area that nobody reads anyways, but if you are deciding between two divisions, please pick the higher one. That’s why Dream League does what it does; you’ll get protected from a “waste” because we can move you down. And it’s more noble of you not to appear like you’re sandbagging.
- WHEN YOU FILE A PROTEST, PLEASE PROVIDE INFORMATION. Often times, people are emailing me and giving me information that would be akin to telling a police officer, “Yo some dude hit me” after being victimized by a hit-&-run. You gotta tell me names. I can’t read your mind. I wasn’t there. You need to do a little bit of legwork when you file a complaint. Walk over to the table and actually look at the spreadsheet. Talk to the refs, talk to the scorekeepers. Build your case. It’s no different in the real world. It’s not like the cop doesn’t have other places to be or other crimes to deal with.
- WHEN YOU FILE A PROTEST, DO IT IMMEDIATELY AT THE SCENE OF THE CRIME. When you see a wrong being committed and you agree to play that team even with the violation happening, what does that say about you from a grass-roots competitive standpoint? Tell me about it when the crime happens. Waiting til after you lose makes you look bad, like you’re taking a hard-fought win away from somebody. In the world of sports, that is ALWAYS a bad approach and it’s not just with me, it’s with your opponent — they now HATE YOU (remember, we are all in this together; a game does not happen without two teams agreeing to play each other). Your captain has my number. It’s not hard to send me a text telling me what’s going on. So the teams that complained this past week, you will be charged $10 for my time and stress dealing with all this after-the-fact. Sometimes I might even decide your issue is not worth my time if it’s after-the-fact. It just depends.
Here are some follow-ups to previous issues…
- 6FT-OSF adds Pure Supremacy and Kurruption from OAK. As we discussed earlier, we felt that both Pure and Kurr had more than the two maximum impact players from AAA or above. But both teams have conflicts with their AAA versions in AAA, so we’ve added Pure and Kurr into the 6FT-OSF, giving us a nice 8 teams in 6FT-OSF playoffs. For their first playoff game, I think I will probably keep both Pure and Kurr in OAK due to shortage of gym space in SF anyways, but as the playoffs progress, we will be balancing them out as we keep going. That being said, Beast (OAK) will play their first playoff game in SF unless it is against one Pure or Kurr, of course.
- A/R-SF will be split into an Upper and Lower. We will keep ZNGA in the A/R-SF Lower.
- REC-SF Upper is looking a lot like A/R-SF. Granted, maybe a slight notch below A/R-SF Upper teams, but most of the “elite” teams in REC-SF Upper would beat the teams in A/R-SF Lower. As discussed above, similar to the problems we’ve been having in Oakland with rosters, we’ll need all teams to submit full rosters next season if they signup.
- BTR (AAA) will move down to A/R-SF Lower. Moving them is a no-brainer. But I’m not completely sure if they should be in A/R-SF Upper or Lower, but I’m gonna go with Lower just based on what I’ve seen so far. That gives A/R-Upper a nice round 8 teams. A/R-Lower will have 5 teams. Again, I’m not sure about this. I might put them in A/R-Upper if the scheduling turns out to be easier to deal with.
- Underdogs will move to AAA-OAK from AL/NL. This was the plan from the get-go. I couldn’t put them in AAA in the beginning because, for whatever reason, they were already scheduled into the AL/NL season roadmap.
Hopefully I didn’t miss anything. That’s it for now, I hope. I’ll be posting some of the playoff seeds shortly.